Workshops, collector cars that were destroyed in a fire on Salmon Arm’s property – Salmon Arm Observer


With a temperature of around 40 ° C, Shuswap firefighters had a challenging afternoon with two fires on neighboring properties.

At 4:15 p.m. on Tuesday, June 29, firefighters in Salmon Arm were called to a barn fire on property on 40th Street NE. At the top of the hill between Salmon Arm and Canoe there were thick clouds of black smoke.

Upon arrival, the firefighters found what Fire Chief Brad Shirley described as “severe fire conditions” involving two nearby workshops. All Salmon Arm fire halls were called to help.

The flames were reported to be about 20 feet in the air at one point. One person said several popping noises were heard after the fire started.

“Unfortunately, the structures and some of the collector’s cars in the store were completely destroyed,” said Shirley.

A hay barn also caught fire, but the fire brigade was able to put it out and save the building and its contents.

In the meantime, another fire has been reported on a neighboring property, on which part of a field and trees had ignited.

Shirley said this fire was likely caused by flying fires or roofing materials from the barn / shop fires.

BC Wildfire Service personnel and the Ranchero Deep Creek Fire Department were called in to assist.

“We were pretty much all on deck in the beginning and didn’t want to feel overwhelmed,” said Shirley.

Although the smoke had evaporated to thin gray clouds around 5:30 p.m., the emergency services remained on their toes.

The Shuswap emergency program accompanied the fire with a commando unit designed to monitor and rehabilitate firefighters by keeping them cool.

As with all building fires, BC Health Services also had an ambulance on site.

“While monitoring our firefighters in rehab, it was determined that as a precaution against heat exhaustion, they should be hospitalized,” said Shirley.

He also noted that three other firefighters were rushed to hospital later that evening for the same reason.

All were later released and are in good health.

RCMP also provided assistance, directing traffic and helping keep the public away from the crime scene.

“The RCMP were very quick on site and did it very quickly for us, and we definitely appreciate their work,” said Shirley.

The fire brigade was on site for around seven hours.

Shirley said the extreme heat made it very difficult to circumvent the fire.

He praised all the firefighters who helped contain and fight the two fires and thanked everyone else who provided their support.

Sign up for our newsletter to get Salmon Arm stories to your inbox every morning.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.